|Главная » Статьи » Устные темы (топики)|
Globalization can be described as a process by which the people of the world are unified into a single society and function together. This process is a combination of economic, technological, sociocultural and political forces. It's a movement of people, goods, capital and ideas due to increased economic integration.
Globalization is a controversial issue mainly because different groups interpret it in different ways. For its opponents globalization is a threatening word. It prompts visions of large multinationals dominating the world in pursuit of ever-higher profits. Many pressure groups fear that globalization threatens the environment as well as national cultures - they predict that it will make the rich nations richer and the developing countries even poorer than they are. But its supporters have another point of view. They believe that increasing and freer trade between nations will offer prosperity and economic growth for all countries and businesses.
So globalization is likely to be a hot potato for the twenty-first
century. Globalization has the following benefits:
1. An opportunity to get acquainted with cultures of different nations.
2. A variety of choice for consumers: when they can buy in their local stores and supermarkets not only home-produced goods but also foreign ones.
3. Transnational corporations create additional work places for local people, at the same it is convenient for these large corporations as well: they may locate the labour-intensive part of their production process in countries with a relative abundance of labour in order to minimize their costs.
4. Another point is risk-sharing. It's more reasonable to invest money not in one company but to create an international company with great amount of subsidiaries in various countries, so it won't have so serious consequences if one of them will not stand cut-throat competition.
5. This cut-throat competition in the local markets between domestic and foreign producers leads to production of high-quality goods.
The disadvantages of globalization are:
1. Pollution of the environment (and there one peculiarity should be admitted - developed countries try to locate their harmful for the environment factories and works not in their own countries but in developing countries).
2. Globalization destroys cultural identity, for example Europeans usually try to impose their customs and traditions on Asian people.
3. Multinational corporations prefer to use cheap labour-force of developing countries for instance in Asia. And at the same time they provide their workers with bad and sometimes even awful working conditions.
4. It's difficult for domestic producers to compete with multinational corporations especially if it's an infant industry.
The last but not least is that we don't actually know to what globalization can lead, we don't realize its consequences.
может быть описана как процесс, посредством которого люди мира
объединяются в единое сообщество и функционируют вместе. Этот процесс представляет собой сочетание экономических, технологических, социально-культурных и политических сил. Это движение людей, товаров, капитала и идей из-за увеличения экономической интеграции.
1. Возможность познакомиться с культурами разных народов.
По материалам http://engmaster.ru
| Теги: |
|Всего комментариев: 0|